Translate

Blog 85 Monday 30 January 2012

The trouble with Chemotherapy is that you don't actually know the good its doing, you can only experience the bad through the side effects and symptoms. I can actually feel the harm the drugs are doing to my body, through loss of feeling in my hands and feet, tinnitus in my ears nausea, headaches and constant nose bleeds, but the hope is that the drugs are fighting for you. My friend Michael whom I met in the Spire Leicester hospital, has been through three bouts of 12 sessions of chemotherapy some few years apart, but each time, the cancer has returned in different parts of his body. But It is also about prolonging ones life, which has worked for Michael, he is a very pleasant man with a good sense of humour and is always encouraging and supportive when discussing our situation. I have realised that there are lots of campaigns out there trying to get the message across regarding early diagnosis of cancer it was on the 5 o'clock news today, it is always being featured in the Sunday Papers as individual personal stories. Its in various magazines Corporate and others and as featured in my blog on Saturday its even in the retired policemans magazine !!!! It sounds as if that could be turned into one of those jokes about "The Policemans Ball"

I have often wondered if my years in the Police Service may have contributed to my contracting cancer, eating take away junk on almost every nightshift, quick changeover shifts very little or no sleep with a few pints in between, long hours in police vans and cars, the basic lethargy of the meandering courts system, and the daily stress of witnesing our fellow man destroying himself and others.  

No comments: